Posts for: February, 2016
Can Diabetes Really Cause Foot Problems? Learn why diabetic foot care is important from your foot doctors in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Diabetes is a common disease. In fact, according to the American Diabetes Association, more than 29 million people in the United States have diabetes. Not only does diabetes wreak havoc on your body, but it also can dramatically affect your feet. Dr. Dennis Bizzoco of Associates in Foot & Ankle Care in Chattanooga, Tennessee, wants you to know all about the importance of foot care, especially if you have diabetes.
Diabetes can cause significant damage to your feet by decreasing your ability to heal. This means if you get a simple cut or blister, it can quickly become infected because you have a less effective immune system to fight off the infection.
Diabetes can also cause nervous system problems, including the nerves in your feet. It’s a condition called diabetic neuropathy. You may not even feel an injury to your feet or realize you are putting stress on your feet when you walk. You may be walking incorrectly and not even know it.
Dr. Bizzoco wants you to know some things you should be doing to protect your feet. Don’t use hot water, electric blankets or heating pads, because you might burn your feet and not realize it. In addition, you should be:
- Checking your feet every day for injuries or problems, including using a mirror to check the bottoms of your feet
- Washing and drying your feet daily
- Using lotion to keep your skin smooth and soft, but don't put lotion between your toes
- Keeping your toenails trimmed straight across
- Always wearing socks and shoes; don’t go barefoot
- Wearing comfortable shoes to protect your feet
- Wiggling your toes and ankles for five minutes, at least two to three times daily
You should stop in and see Dr. Bizzoco for an initial foot examination and treatment plan to take care of your feet. He will advise you on how often you should have a podiatry exam, depending on your individual health issues. The important thing is, take the first step and call Dr. Dennis Bizzoco of Associates in Foot & Ankle Care, your podiatrist in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Take care of your feet, so they can take care of you!