Posts for: December, 2017
Even the slightest foot injury can put your health at risk if you have diabetes. Fortunately, it's easy to prevent problems by adopting a good diabetic care regimen. Chattanooga, TN, podiatrists Dr. Brian Burgan and Dr. Dennis Bizzoco at Associates in Foot and Ankle Care explain how daily foot exams can help you prevent infections.
Don't skip daily examinations
Daily foot exams every day offers important benefits for your health. When your blood sugar is too high, it takes longer for your body to heal itself if you get a cut or sore. Before long, that scrape or burst blister can turn into an infection.
Diabetes can also cause diabetic neuropathy, a condition that affects the nerves in your feet. If you have diabetic neuropathy, you may no longer be able to feel pain in your feet if you have a cut or even be able to tell if your shoes are too tight. Daily examinations can help you spot signs of trouble before they can cause serious health problems. During your daily examinations, look for these signs of trouble:
- Red Spots: Red spots often precede blisters. If you notice them, wear shoes that don't rub against your feet.
- Blisters: Place a bandage over the blister to cushion and protect it. Do not pop it.
- Cuts, Scrapes, Burst Blisters and Sores: Schedule an appointment with our Chattanooga office if you notice any sores, cuts or breaks in your skin. Even the slightest scratch can quickly turn into an infection if you don't receive prompt treatment for the injury.
- Ingrown Toenails: If the edge of a nail starts to grow into your skin, don't attempt to free the nail yourself.
- Changes in Skin Color: Black, white, blue or red skin or red streaks are never good signs. If all or part of your foot changes color, call our office immediately.
- Sensation Changes: Numbness or pain in your feet can be a sign of diabetic retinopathy and should be evaluated by a foot doctor.
Regular diabetic care at the podiatrist's office can help you avoid common diabetes complications. If you're concerned about a foot issue, call Chattanooga, TN, podiatrists Dr. Brian Burgan and Dr. Dennis Bizzoco at (423) 855-0728 to schedule an appointment.