Common Causes for Foot Pain
Are you unable to go for your daily jog due to foot pain? It’s time you nipped that issue in the bud!
We often don’t consider the health of our feet until there is an actual issue that affects our daily lives. If you find that you are no longer able to go on your daily run or even just get chores done around the house without experiencing foot pain, it’s time you turned to our Chattanooga, TN podiatrists, Dr. Dennis Bizzoco and Dr. Brian Burgan, for some answers.
What is causing my pain?
There are so many reasons you may be experiencing pain. Trauma, injury or disease can affect the health of your foot and cause you discomfort. Poor biomechanics or poorly fitted shoes can also cause issues for your feet. If you are experiencing pain, swelling or tenderness these are all symptoms that will require a trip to see our Chattanooga foot doctors.
There are many conditions that could be to blame. While heel pain is mostly caused by plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendinitis, foot pain can also be caused by:
- Heel spurs
- Ingrown toenails
- Morton’s Neuroma
- Diabetic foot complications
- Toenail fungus
As you can see, there is a laundry list of things that could be causing your foot pain and without examining your feet it’s going to be nearly impossible to diagnose. While we always recommend coming in for medical attention (particularly if you have a nerve or circulation disorder, or you have diabetes) there are some things you can try in the meantime to temporarily ease your pain:
- You can try taping or bracing the foot to provide support and improve the alignment of the foot.
- Stay away from shoes that are too tight, that rub against your feet or that don’t provide enough cushioning and support (e.g. flip-flops). Also, avoid heels that are higher than 2 inches.
- Ice the tender or painful areas for about 15-20 minutes at a time throughout the day to reduce inflammation and discomfort.
- You can also take over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen.
Associates in Foot and Ankle Care in Chattanooga is here to address all of your foot concerns. The health of your feet is very important. Give them the care they deserve now and you’ll enjoy pain-free feet.