Do I Have a Foot Fracture?
What your podiatrists in Chattanooga want you to know
A foot fracture is a common injury if you play sports, but you can also fracture your foot if you step wrong, or if you are on an uneven surface. Foot fractures are best treated by your podiatrist because professional treatment can get you back on your feet quickly. Your podiatrists at Associates In Foot And Ankle Care, Inc. in Chattanooga, TN, want to share the facts about foot fractures.
There are some easily recognizable signs and symptoms of a foot fracture which include:
- Increasing pain when you put weight on your foot
- Increasing pain when you are active
- Tenderness, bruising, and swelling
- Decreasing pain when you rest and take weight off of your foot
There are different types of foot fractures:
- A bone fracture can happen if you are in an accident or experience trauma to your foot. Bone fractures can involve dislodging bones, or you can still have the bones in your foot aligned correctly.
- A stress fracture is common and can be caused if you change either the frequency or intensity of your activities. If you are on an uneven or changing surface, you can also experience a stress fracture. Stress fractures can happen to older adults because of osteoporosis and they usually happen in the middle of the foot up to the toes.
- If you think you might have a foot fracture, it’s important to take the weight off of your foot and apply ice to your foot several times each day. You should elevate your feet as often as possible. Anti-inflammatory and pain medications and wrapping your foot can also help.
It’s best to seek out the services of a foot expert if you experience a foot fracture. For more information on foot fracture treatment and additional podiatry services, call your podiatrists at Associates In Foot And Ankle Care, Inc. in Chattanooga, TN. Call today and heal your feet!