Posts for tag: Diabetic Wound Care
How your podiatrists in Chattanooga, Tennessee can help your feet
Your feet play an important role in your life. They are responsible for your stability and carrying your weight. They help you get through your daily activities, so they deserve special treatment and a little TLC. They need even more care if you are one of the many people who are diabetic. Dr. Dennis Bizzoco and Dr. Brian Burgan at Associates In Foot And Ankle Care in Chattanooga, Tennessee can help keep your feet healthy.
The effects of diabetes are far reaching. Diabetes affects your immune, circulatory, and nervous systems, creating problems affecting normal function. These problems often show up in your extremities, including your feet.
It’s easy to injure your feet and you may not even realize it because your nervous system is compromised. Lack of blood flow can cause tissue damage, and immune system changes mean that if you do injure your feet, the injury may not heal properly and you can develop an open, painful diabetic sore or ulcer.
If you are diabetic, it’s good to know the basics of keeping your feet healthy. Remember to:
- Wash your feet daily in warm water using mild soap
- Moisturize your feet with lotion or cream after washing
- Examine your feet daily with a hand mirror for any small cuts or blisters
- See your foot doctor to have your toenails clipped safely
- Avoid walking around barefoot
- Wear comfortable, supportive shoes and socks
If you are dealing with any type of wound, it’s time to call the experts, your podiatrists. They have several excellent treatments to get you back on your feet. They may recommend:
- Oral or topical antibiotics to eliminate infection
- Topical medications to reduce wound pain
- Protective bandaging
You don’t have to let diabetic foot problems interfere with your life. Instead, just pick up your phone and call Dr. Dennis Bizzoco and Dr. Brian Burgan at Associates In Foot And Ankle Care in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Call now and help your feet!